Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sample Size

So I've finally figured out what I want to do with all the fabric I got from my bridal shower.  I'm going to do a modified log cabin design, using 4-inch (finished) squares of fussy-cut campers as the "hearth".

I'm much more confident that this could turn out well this morning, after playing around with junk fabrics I had in my stash last night.  I got a few of my I Spy squares, and 12 strips from a generic jelly roll I got on eBay a while back, and did some stack n whacking. This design was actually really easy and worked perfectly with jelly roll size/length fabrics.  I'll try and make up a tutorial as I go. 

 I made four blocks total, each about 16 inches a side, finished.
 Yes, that's batman.

 First finished block.
 Closer to what the real blocks will look like, with campers in the middle.

All four blocks sewn together.  It's actually kind of huge already, so I've decided to keep going with this thing and call it a "grown up I Spy quilt"...it's like your grandmother's house - at first glance, it's pretty and floral and traditional, but on closer inspection, there are all kinds of toys and fun things hidden in the nooks and crannies.  I'm going to expand it to 4x5 blocks (making it about 64x80 finished) and then I'll figure out what to do with it...we'll see.  It goes together super fast though.  With the jelly roll already cut, I cut, arranged, and sewed all four of these blocks in about an hour and a half last night. 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Excellent!!!
It's gonna be Gorg, Kat!
=-)