Saturday, December 18, 2010

Modified Log Cabin - The tutorial!

Let me preface this by saying that while I did come up with this on my own, I'm not claiming it's original.  All the thoughts were mine though, so no one should feel like I'm infringing on their work (except the wonderful folks who invented the Log Cabin design so many years ago).

Moving on.

I don't know if y'all knew this about me, but I use graph paper.  A lot.  I doodled this up the other day before I made these blocks.

 I used jelly roll strips (not Moda) to reduce the work.  For the sample quilt, I need 16 more blocks, so I cut the following:
  • 4 each of light and dark strips cut to 4.5 inches and 16.5 inches.  This yields 16 total strips of each size, 8 in each colorway.
  • 8 each of light and dark strips cut to 6.5 inches and 14.5 inches.  This yields 32 total strips of each size, 16 in each colorway.
  • 8 each of light and dark strips cut to 8.5 inches and 12.5 inches.  This yields 32 total strips of each size, 16 in each colorway. 
  • 4 each of light and dark strips cut to 10.5 inches and 10.5 inches.  This yields 32 total strips of this size, 16 in each colorway. 
I laid the strips out starting with the 4.5 inch strips.  For blocks where the A group is the light group, pick two each of the 8.5 and 10.5, and one each of the 4.5 and 16.5 strips in light colors.  Pick two each of the 6.5, 12.5, and 14.5 inch strips in dark colors.  For blocks where the A group is the dark group,  pick two each of the 8.5 and 10.5, and one each of the 4.5 and 16.5 strips in dark colors.  Pick two each of the 6.5, 12.5, and 14.5 inch strips in light colors.
Starting with the center block, sew the 4.5 inch strip to the right side.  Continue sewing strips on, building out working around counter clockwise.

No comments: