Sunday, March 14, 2010

3 Finishes!!!

See what happens when my machine actually works??  Check these puppies out:

First up, three of my four Quilts for Kids:
That's (top to bottom) "The Robots Win", "Treasure Everywhere", and "Ninjas Kick Butt!"

The label close up of "The Robots Win".

Notice the top border?  I was using the backing as border fabric, got done with 3 sides, then realized there was not even close to enough to finish out the quilt...I was about 6 inches shy!  Fortunately, I had what you see of the green stuff from "Treasure Everywhere", so I ripped out everything back around to the top, added the green as the top border, continued along, and now I have about 18 inches of the red stuff left.  Oh well, you can't win them all.  :-)  I'm saving all my scraps from these to make some kind of "Scraps for Kids" quilt once I've got enough.  The mini pinwheel will definitely be part of it.

"Treasure Everywhere"

Label closeup for "Treasure Everywhere".  I think the picture above this is more representative of the actual colors in this. 


I always scoffed at my mom when she said "make sure you change your needle every time you hit a pin."  I was like "pshaw, who hits pins??"  I do, that's who.  Wowee.  This sucker snapped off, hit me in the cheek (I feel like I should be wearing safety goggles!), and landed on the quilt.  I had a heck of a time getting the basting pin off.  Can you see the hole the needle punched in it??  Yikes.  Needless to say, I changed my needle. 

Scariest part to me...washing everything.  I put it on the meanest cycle (hot/cold, longest wash) to make sure they could all take it.  They came out fine (see first picture).  Even the waves held up...phew!


Of course, Grisgris was helpful, as ever. 

And now...are you ready for this? 


Presenting, for the first time...ABBY'S ROAD!!!  


He was so much cuter on there like 5 seconds before, but the batteries died in my camera and MOTU was asleep so I couldn't ask where he'd put the spares.  Oh well, you get the idea.  He likes it, so it must be ok, right?  :-)

Here it is, folded with a glimpse of the backing fabric.  The whole thing feels so much friendlier now that it's washed.  This one, too, survived the wash (I held my breath all night lol).

And finally, the finished pile.  I'll be shipping everything either today or tomorrow, depending on how nasty the weather is...so far it's looking like it's gonna be tomorrow (it's pouring and in the mid-30's...blech).  That might change if I get cabin-crazy though lol.

In other news, if my count is correct, Abby's Road is finish number 9 for me...so this next finish is going to push me into double digits!!  I need to consider very carefully which one I finish next...I know it won't be the Paddington one because I don't have the backing material up here with me today.  It could be the fourth QFK, which I haven't started yet but have all day to do.  I also have supplies for Alishia's string quilt. And that's pretty much it. Hmm, so I guess it's the fourth QFK then, unless I drive home to raid more of my stash.  Man I can't wait to have my sewing stuff at MOTU's...

OH!  In other news, we've decided on a name for our puppy!  We're going to call her Zucchini...because that's the only thing we managed to keep alive in our garden last summer (it rained EVERY day last year, and MOTU's old roommate mowed the lawn directly into the garden...when it was seeding), and they were always bigger than we expected them to be.  We'll call her Kini for short.  :-D  MOTU's idea...I thought it was brilliant.  A pitbull named Zucchini.  I love it.



3 comments:

Nancy E said...

Thank you, Kat. I was dawdling on the computer reading your blog, but your 3 finishes inspired me to get off my fanny and go sew! See you on the flip side.

Nancy E said...

Kat email me as to where you are in MA, I'm in CT and maybe we can connect sometime. (I'm on layoff til April 26)...nancy.eaton@sbcglobal.net

Wendy said...

It always feels so GOOD to finish, doesn't it!

And when you say NINE finishes, does that mean for this year, or EVER? Either way; Wow! You Go!

Zucchini, huh? That's a first for me. I've heard LOTS of dog names, but NEVER Zucchini!
=-)