Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bloggin on the Sly

Taking a quick breather between meetings to post some good stuff.  Unfortunately, none of it is quilting-related, but you know what?  Life is good. 

This weekend, my baby brother graduated from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.  He has been through some tough times through his college career, but you know what?  He pulled himself up from rock bottom (not without the help of our awesome parents, whose love and support have gotten both of us through some mess) and is officially a college grad with a GPA just shy of 3.0, if I remember correctly.  I can't tell you how proud of him I am.  He's awesome. Here's us about 4.5 years ago.  Still one of my favorite pics.

Today, MOTU finally got some answers.  Well, one at least.  His waiver got accepted at BuMed, so now he can move on to MEPS and keep moving towards OCS.  Anyone catch that?  :-)  Basically, someone stamped a piece of paper saying the ulcer he had when he was 16 was a fluke, and he's now fit enough to take the medical exam so he can eventually (soon I hope) take the fitness exam, then submit his application and all that.  We still don't know if he'll be in the October or January class, but he's on his way.  You can't imagine the sigh of relief (and subsequent happy dance) this invoked. 

I think I'm finally at peace with him joining the Marine Reserve.  Don't get me wrong, if he decided it wasn't for him, I'd be more than a little thrilled.  But the thought of being away from him for an indefinite amount of time while he's in some God-forsaken country doing things I don't even want to think about doesn't phase me as much anymore.  I'm sure that will change when he gets his first deployment, but for now...I'm excited to see him in uniform.  :-)

That said, on my way home from CA this weekend I saw some poster thanking our troops, and I felt that all-too-familiar lump in my throat come creeping back up.  Maybe I lied.  Maybe I'm ok with him going off to training, but I'm not at all excited for deployment.  I'll make it - I'm tough and Kini is cute - but it's not going to be easy.  I'll make it though.  And so will he.

Last night, I tied and stuffed 90+ invitations, and all the counts came out correctly.  The first time.  Phew!  MOTU, bless his heart, tried to tie one of the cards for me but it came out so badly I told him he could just walk Kini instead and that'd be enough help.  But, the important thing is that they're all done.  I'm just waiting on my special stamps now, and then in a couple of weeks I can put the whole mess in the mail and wait for either RSVP cards or return to senders.  We'll see. 

Anyway, back to work.  Hopefully I'll have more pics of the critters and the wedding chaos later. 

No comments: