Good news is, my plane is already here:
On the plane here, I started a new journal, daydreaming about quilts I'm going to make. The list is as follows (in no particular order):
- Quilts for Kids - I just got the kit before I left, so I'm itching to get back to this one. I think I'm going to try free motion quilting for the first time. Tips would be appreciated.
- Alishia's string quilt - I still need to name this one, but I haven't figured out the pattern of the strings yet, so that's hard.
- Mai's graduation quilt - this one is going to be black, white, and red. I'm thinking of doing a heartstrings quilt for this, but I'm not sure. I have about 2 dozen fat quarters up for grabs for this one so far, as well as a few fun remnants. It'll definitely be a work of chaos. Suggestions for this one are welcome too...keep in mind that Mai is my 17-year-old mentee, who's graduating high school in June. My mom made me a quilt when I went off to college and it helped me be not so homesick...I figured Mai could use the same.
- Alishia's donation quilt - This one has to be a HeartStrings donation, because I said so lol. Should be fairly straightforward...I'll need new reds, but I have PLENTY of blues left over from my mom's quilt.
- Mai's donation quilt - I haven't decided on a charity for this one, but it seems fitting that it should be something that helps teens...specifically teens in trouble. Maybe I'll find a shelter around Boston, sort of like here.
- Mom's Paddington quilt - As previously described. I won that panel, so that rocks. I'll have to see how big the inside is when I get it, then plan the rest out from there.
- Arman's I Spy quilt - I'm hoping to find some flexible, toddler-friendly velcro someplace so I can make the pictures movable but still semi-permanent. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.
- The t-shirt quilt - I think I'm not even going to plan this out until I have a better feel for the size of the shirt cuts.
- A crumb quilt - I've been seeing a lot of these in various blogs lately, and I LOVE the idea! I want to make this one for myself. I have a trunk that Nick got me for my birthday (an old steamer trunk) that really needs some quilts in it. Sadly, everything I own is currently used to keep me warm at night, so I don't have anything in there!
- A memory quilt - this one I came up with when I was thinking about what I'll be doing in Queenstown. There's a fabric store about 15 minutes walking from my hostel, which I fully intend to patronize. I was thinking that it would be REALLY cool to get fabrics from there (and make this a tradition for every place I go), then make a quilt of them. Each block would have a picture from the trip printed on fabric in the center, then the fabric I buy on the trip would surround it in some pattern. Make a few of those blocks and bam! You got yerself a memory quilt! We'll see how that works out.
On that note, I'm gonna hulu it up while I still can (you can't get hulu outside the US) and blow the next 2 hours watching TV and writing postcards (which I won't be able to send until I'm back because they no longer have mail boxes in airports...for security reasons. Riddle me that.)