Saturday, May 14, 2011


I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry! I know I've been a horrible blogger for a while now.  This is the first of a couple of recap posts (which you may have seen on other blogs of mine, since there's really no sewing involved in anything here).

Easter week we decided to take a road trip down to visit my mother in law, in NC.  On that Tuesday, we drove down to Florida, to see what was supposed to be the last launch of the space shuttle Endeavor. No such luck, but the trip was still way fun!

View Larger Map

Friday: Left NH, drove to DE (hi...we're in...Delaware...). Stayed at sketchy motel after being turned down by angry Indian for having a dog (they said they were pet friendly on the phone...they lied).

This was Kini's first experience in a hotel, and she just didn't know what to do about it. Eventually, she decided the bed was ok and laid down (but didn't sleep much).

View Larger Map
Saturday: Left DE, drove to NC. Nothing too exciting on this leg, but it got hotter and humider.  More humid.  The air got wet. Got there in time for dinner and to watch the puppies tear around (and in) the pond by MIL's house. Our dog who won't take a bath wanted nothing more than to jump in and then drink the decorative pond. Go figure.
 This pretty much sums up their relationship.
 Laziest puppy in the world.
Not interested in me at all.

Sunday: Enjoyed Easter festivities with the families.  Yes, that includes an egg hunt, in spite of the fact that the youngest (and least enthusiastic, I might add) hunter was 25 years old.  That's right folks, I'm pushing 30 and I can count on one hand the number of Easters my parents have *not* hidden eggs for me, in some fashion. I love that about them. :-) Needless to say, I found the most...but I also have 27 years of strategic advantage and knowledge of their hiding patterns.

 The traditional bunny cake, from my mother in law. Love it.
 We also went to the beach and took cute pictures.
 Dad and I flew a kite...ok mostly Dad flew it and I crashed it then felt bad.
I don't know how I look so tan. I know that's pasty to most, but this is tan for me.

Monday: Drove down to visit my aunt and uncle at their sweet beach house. Also got to learn more about his sweet shoe store.  I wish he'd open up an online store, but that'd take away from the personal attention I guess, so they don't have one.  If you're in the High Point, NC area though, check them out (and tell Bill his niece says hi!) Got some great fried shrimp and a sweet sunburn. And an adventure hat.  Can't forget that.

 Using Google maps on my phone to show them my parents' house.
 Hooray we're a couple!
Special, huh?

Tuesday: Left NC kinda late and drove down to Hilton Head Island, SC. Got in late but the hotel was decidedly unsketchy and very welcoming (Red Roof Inn FTW!). We also crossed the NC/SC border, which is home to South of the Border, America's creepiest roadside attraction!  Seriously, worth the stop but bring hand sanitizer.

View Larger Map

Wednesday: Doinked around HHI and decided to stay another night. Couldn't really figure out why we loved it so much, then it dawned on us...this place is *home*!  Everyone there was some variation of upper-middle-class, functional family unit, there for a reasonably-priced family vacation.  It was like stumbling on the mother ship.  It was wonderful.  We decided that'd be where we'll go when we have our own family (in like 40 years or so).
 At the beach
 Kini was super itchy so we got her a bath. She makes friends quickly.
 At the dog park
 Pirate Mini Golf! Arr!

 Nick got a hole in one on one of them...because I knocked his in with my ball!
Out for a fancy dinner on the town. Sunburn and all.

View Larger Map
Thursday: Drove HHI to Titusville. Dropped the pup off at daycare and made it to Kennedy Space Center around 4:30, thinking we'd maybe get half an hour to tour before they closed.  Nope! They were open until 8, so we got the full tour, AND got to see Hubble 3-D (narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, *swoon*) in IMAX. Score! Survived some massive thunder storms to get back to our campsite and set up for the night (rain = no bugs, hooray!)

At the IMAX.

Friday: Woke up early, drove to Waffle House (YUM) and headed to the Astronaut Hall of Fame for the STS-134 launch. Realized at about 8:55 that our "please arrive here by" time was 9:00...oops.  We made it just fine anyway, but had a good laugh. Doinked around at AHF until around noon when we heard the launch had been scrubbed.  Boo.  Made a few command decisions and decided to pick up the pup early from daycare and start the drive home. We made it as far as Lumberton before calling it a night...wish we'd gone 5 or so miles further, since we might have avoided the symphony of sketch the Lumberton Motel 6 had to offer. Yikes.

View Larger Map

Saturday: Long long day in the car, but we made it all the way from Lumberton to home. Not much else to report. I started getting my allergies back around VA and Benadryled my way back up the coast.

View Larger Map

So that's the recap.

Next up: how I ran the equivalent of Mt. Washington in 4 hours, with a lot of mud and bruising along the way!

No comments: