Sunday, February 7, 2010

Today's Recount

Nick walked into my sewing room a few minutes ago, took a look around (I expanded my doodle wall a bit) and said "You're so OCD, I love it."  I was confused, but then realized he meant ADD.  That I can't argue with.  Here's the day's rundown: 


Mai's quilt, a quick update.  I did a total of 5 blocks today, and that was enough to mull on.  I'm not sure where I'm going with it, but I have high hopes.  We'll see. 

Soaking the squares for Alishia's quilt so I could take the paper off.  This was the bulk of the day, and it took FOREVER to get done.  My fingers were pruney, but...

Eventually it started coming together. 

A quick close up of Mai's squares, rearranged a bit. 
Some of the paper I took off of Alishia's blocks. 
Taadaa!  All the blocks I have done for Alishia's quilt so far. 
So then, I decided I wanted to work on something with less geometric responsibility.  I started Mom's Paddington quilt.  I'm using the jelly roll I got from eBay for the squares.  I've gotten more done than this, but I don't feel like going back into the abyss for pictures.  
And finally, my two favorite boys, in eerily similar positions. I love these boys.  One of them needs some teeth pulled though...unfortunately, not the human one.  :-(  

Anyways, I hope everyone had a great weekend!  

5 comments:

rosewillow said...

You sure have been busy! I especially like the blue and brown string blocks. :) Take care, Dianne B. in England

Diane said...

love the colorway of your string quilt and the setting, very pretty.

Teaquilts said...

On Alishia's quilt blocks, can you explain why you soaked the paper off and what kind of paper did you use as it looks as if it has color. Just trying to understand if this is a better way to remove paper as I'm about to make a few more string quilts. Thanks for sharing your design wall.

Kat said...

The paper is (don't laugh) some origami paper I had lying around from a previous attempted "artsy phase". It was already cut to 8x8, and I was feeling lazy, so the blocks became 8x8. (If you think that's a funny evolution, go look up why the booster rockets of space launchers are the width they are! :-P)

I soaked the paper off because it seemed easiest. Once it's wet, it (for the most part) peels right off, dividing nicely (mostly) along the stitching. I tried cutting it off and ended up cutting into the fabric on accident, so pruney fingers won.

In the future, I think I'm just going to use scrap paper from work...the origami paper is a little thicker than I'd like, and won't be free after I run out of this batch. :-)

All that said, this is my first string quilt, so I'm not anything near an expert...I'm really just sort of making it up as I go along, but this seemed to work. There are a few little pieces left in some of the seams, but I figure those will wash out and just become extra batting eventually. :-) I'll post a pic of the flip side of one of the blocks later so you can see what I mean by "little pieces".

Thanks for the comment!

Kat said...

And thank you very much, rosewillow and Diane! :-) I need a name for it...something involving Zion I think.