Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Serenity Now!

I finished up Levi's quilt last night...pictures to come as soon as I get my phone back (grumble grumble).  I'm pretty happy with it...the binding turned out way nicer than I expected (given my lack of hand-stitching experience), and the whole thing is really warm...my legs got noticeably colder every time I stood up without it covering me! 

I still haven't quite dreamed up what I'm going to do for my Linus quilt yet.  I have a bunch of flannel left over from Levi's quilt, and I have a few other little-boy-esque patterns (Curious George, blue Pooh) that I could throw in there.  If anyone has any suggestions for block patterns to try, I'm all ears. 

I think I decided last night that I will always hand-stitch the bindings.  Machine stitching is obviously a lot quicker, but hand-stitching really gave me a chance to sort of "bond" with the quilt...I feel like I left more love on it by doing it the hard way.  It seems almost insincere if a quilt takes you less than a couple of days at least to make it.

I've been dreaming of fabric a lot.  I know that sounds weird, but when the last thing I do at night is close my sewing room door (Grisgris (my cat) LOVES the chair in there, not to mention the piles of fabric that look just like a kitty bed to him), it's hard not to still have pretty colors in strange shapes on my mind.  And since there's obviously a lot of planning that goes into more intricate quilts, I find myself daydreaming and doodling a lot more lately as well. 

In any case, I should get back to work...just wanted to jot down some thoughts. 

No comments: