Monday, January 4, 2010

delayed gratification



One of the things I really like about quilting is that, no matter how you slice it, it's all about delayed gratification.  You might be able to throw together a decent quilt in just a few hours, but you still have to wait for the drier to go off before you can even use the fabric.  :0)  Right now, I'm starting a quilt for my friend Alishia, who just bought her first home.  In the spirit of firsts, this quilt will be my first "string quilt".  Its companion donation quilt will be made for Heartstrings Quilt Project.  The companion quilt will likely be a baby blanket (or at least a smaller one than I'm making for Alishia).  The reason I'm starting on Alishia's quilt instead of working on the quilt for Linus (or finishing the one for Levi) is because the fabrics I picked up for the Linus quilt are in the drier.  Levi's quilt just has hand stitching left to do, so I'm saving that for tomorrow, when I'm at Nick's (my boyfriend) where my sewing machine and cutting stuff aren't. 

Alishia's quilt is going to be called something like "Teal and Sandstone"...or something.  Basically, she loves teal.  So half the strings are teal.  The other half are roughly the color of the stone at Zion, which is a place she frequents.  Alishia and I met rock climbing a few years ago in Utah, and though I live on the east coast now, she is still one of the best friends I've ever had.  A couple of years ago, my other best friend, Jimmy, and I went to visit her in Salt Lake, and we all drove down to Zion for easily the best weekend of my life.  We went rock climbing, hiking, canyoneering...so much physical activity, Jimmy and I literally couldn't walk the Monday after.  It was one of those vacations that I almost don't even want to try to repeat because it was just so perfect on its own.  Jimmy's in Maryland now though, and Alishia is in Utah and I miss them both like heck. 

In any case, I digress.  The quilt is for Alishia because she just bought her first house.  I'm aiming for it to be a couch quilt, but am making it big enough to fit a full or queen sized bed.  The fill (string) part should fit a full sized bed across, and the borders should extend it to make it fit a queen sized bed. 

On that note, back to work then off to bed. 

No comments: